In the beginning....


Everyone starts somewhere. For me it was in utero, the traditional way. I am the daughter of a military man who has more war stories than the Health Reform bill has pages. He lives for a new face to walk in the house, it is like cheese to mouse. Once cornered, there is no break for air. The one benefit is that indeed, his stories are fascinating even the 7th time. He has lived life well. Then there is the southern bell he married. Found her at the 5 and Dime. She loves to shop, collect and create things. So together they explain the complex person that is me, a broke, pack rat who can't stop talking. Welcome to my world.
I have spent the past 34 years in health care and I got to say, it is not the same as when I began. How I long for porcelain bedpans, patients who could give their own baths and nurses who could perform a days work without complaining about working two days in a row. However that may be global these days as I heard the same complaints at the corner convenience store. So to cap off the end of a great career in which I have worked in every department from the kitchen to the behavioral heath unit I was laid off. Seems corporate positions may be less secure than others in health care.
My big question now is what to do? Return to a nursing job,teach or leave health care all together. I am deciding. I will let you know when I get there. There must be a need looking for an answer from me. I almost thought I found it one day. My friend and I were having coffee and talking about this dilemma she was having. While there she complained about her purse. She held it up and demonstrated her complaint, "I wish they made a purse that opens the other way. This one only opens this way (as she moves the zipper right to left)". I watched this situation unfold and thought here may well be the beginning of a great career, to design a Left Handed Purse. One where the zipper opens left to right! How many left handed friends do you have who can only find purses that unzip right to left. Tragedy. Seeing an opportunity as profound as this caused my creative juices to flow. I quickly grabbed her purse, turned it around and Viola! It opened left to right. A solution found, an entirely new product line potential.
Okay, maybe not.
But there must be something or someone that will need me. So until then, I decided I must share some of my deepest thoughts, or at least some casual comments, depending on the day. I hope that someone will find a morsal of entertainment in the process. For today, I am simply beginning.

Comments

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere Judy. There is something great out there for you.
    Kelly Damron

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Judy! I am sorry about you getting laid off. I went through a troubling patch where I thought I would lose my job too. You can write girl! Keep it up. It will be ok. Pray for God's will. I will keep you in mine too. Love you Debbie (Callie's mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy, life's journey can take some interesting twists and turns. God has blessed you with many talents. Take advantage of this opportunity to search within yourself and listen for His direction for your life. I know that you will make the next chapter in your life an exciting story!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judy,
    You know God has something great for you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Judy,
    There is always a silver lining!! This lay off must mean that we can finally meet for lunch some day soon:)
    I am sorry about the upheaval this must be causing but I know that a great mission is about to be revealed and I trust you will respond with the incredible enthusiasm that I have seen form many years. When I have more time I will be back with my own parental profile now that mom is enjoying her dementia here in AZ.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts