FALL!


Well here it is nearly October. FALL! I LOVE FALL! The weather is changing. I have my sweaters out and yes I wear them if it is under 75 degrees. I have all these fantastic associations with this time of year. And with Cody I enjoy many new found adventures for this time of life. As a parent to a special boy, while friends and family may share parenting experiences, quite often they happen on an entirely different time table than that of the typical family.
Potty training for instance. We are excited a cousin is mastering the use of the porcelain bowl. AWESOME! I recall we were about 5-6.....years for daytime success. And we were equally thrilled. Possibly slightly more as diapers are hard to find when you pass 35 pounds. Ha. Thank you Jesus we are out of that need.
And then there is socializing. Our wonderful young man has friends, lots of them. They are as happy to play with each other as to hang out with the little people in their world. He loves to sit with, hold and nurture his small companions which to little people can seem alarming as this large strong boy scoops them up for a hug. He would have been a great brother. He is the bestest friend.
I have so enjoyed connecting with those who may be MUCH younger yet are sharing this developmental stage of our life. Parts of me never want him to grow up. He loves me. He takes care of me, gets me my Tums, rubs my neck, helps me get out of my chair. Hmmm perhaps he just thinks I am really old.
And on that point he would be correct. I am 51 this year. I am "beyond golden". But I love it. I don't feel old or look it. I am extremely immature and I love to play games. So in the big picture I am likely quite a bit younger:-)
As I turn 51, and my son is 15, I think how fortunate I am to have someone who will cut out paper turkeys, and decorate with leaves and pumpkins and who loves to put up Christmas decorations long before the turkey is cold. I am so blessed to be in this place in my life where I am in touch with friends and family and enjoying a great adventure in living. I am grateful I am living. The days are so short and I want to enjoy every one....and I want to do it with crayons and hugs!

Comments

Popular Posts