The Past

Have you ever held something in your hand that is old? I don't mean that green supper in the back of the refrigerator but I mean something that is older than yourself, perhaps older than your parents. I love hand me downs, antiques, treasures. Mine or not, they call up images of times gone by and my imagination conjures what life may have been for those attached to the item.




These loaf pans are part of my family treasures. Seems a bit crazy, two glass dishes yellowed by time and use. But they each hold keys to a past, having attended many meals and gatherings. They have served 100's of meals and provided structure to a recipe permitting the perfect guest at the family table.
The smaller one is 100 years old. What I know is my grandmother cooked for church functions, family functions and often prepared pies and meatloaf. That is what I use this pan for as well. The larger one is nearly 80 years old and likely did much of the same work, but belonged to my mother and would have served an extended group of hungry guests.

I just made some meatloaf in these and as I held them wondered whose hands had used these before? How often were they used? Who helped in the kitchen? Did they get borrowed or shared? Were there other things they were used for? Seems a bit silly some but then I thought was the food prayed over while in these vessels? Was there a meal prepared for an ailing friend or neighbor? Had there been a treat prepared for a wedding? Had it been used to teach or reward?



So often we have in our hands a bit of our heritage. Not just the physical family line, but our spiritual past. Do we do things now because they are newly learnt behaviors or because they are time honored examples of family and faith? Do you ever think about the WHY we do things and WHO is responsible for that action? Have we learned to bury our treasure or share it? Have we learned to hand down our wisdom or is it buried in the ground with the bones from this life?

I have found lists and journals and letters and notes that talk about the life of my northern grandmother though she was alone with small children during the wars. I have heard countless stories of the kindness and constant labor of love from my southern grandmother who always smiled despite the loss of two homes form fire. What I know is that I am privileged to have as my heritage two God following, generous and tough women. Both known for their gifts from the kitchen and from the heart. Both known to share what little they had, inviting strangers to the table and giving anything needed away. Heritage, passed down in life lessons and loaf pans. From their hands, skillfully preparing a simple meal, seeking a blessing from the Father now to the modern day table, eager to share a treat mixed and prepared while begging God's awesome grace to give it exceptional flavor.

The question may be, are you learning from the past? Are you holding on to values and servants heart handed down with the loaf pans in your life? I can not wait to learned more!

Comments

Popular Posts