A Wonderful Life


Who knew that bell bottom pants would go out of style then come back. And platform shoes? Really, no one could walk on them the first time and yet they have soared back into fame. And then there is that disco music. We were just laughing the other day as we realized that some of our current favorite movies or shows win that affection because of the tunes or lifestyle portrayed. We remember younger days, and seemingly better ones. We turn off the tube with a sigh and a smile. Just walking through the grocery store the other evening they were playing all the popular 80's music. People were singing and toe tapping down every aisle. Ha Good times.
When I look at the entire aging process it really mirrors these moments. The current times maybe look too complicated, or busy so you regress to those younger more active days in your mind. While there is nothing wrong with the present, we all seem to enjoy most of it. We all find some comfort in looking at old pictures, times when there were fewer complications to living daily.
So as I sit across from my father during his 83rd birthday, my mom by his side, I see memories of better days, good times. Watching him talk and tell stories he basks in the light of the good old days,times in the service, all the planes he has flown, times of travel and times with his family. While he doesn't always remember us now, he knew us when and he is happy with those memories. They make him chuckle,and cause him to recall other fun times or conversations.
This could cause me to despair, but I could not be happier because he has indeed had a great life, lived a long time and enjoys the memories of days gone by. I have annoyed people for years with my camera but I am so glad I did. I have so many pictures of those good old days and he recognizes many of those times. I have even copied old pictures from his childhood. Good stuff. So what have I learned from this season? Time goes by fast, and while we are so busy running to keep up it is those quieter or simpler times that we will reflect on. Think about it, after being married 20 years we reflect on our youth, dating, falling in love, getting engaged, getting married, and the birth of our dear son. Those are wonderful memories and I am so glad that I will be able to look back with the same pleasure as my father.....I have had a great life, lived a long time and enjoyed all those days gone by. Good times:-)

Comments

Popular Posts