Change .....




I can remember the television I used to watch. I thought I was the Queen of the Dakotas with my 27" black and white television in the day room. And it had 3 channels to choose from. In those days it was always a great adventure to go see an old train or dinosaur statue. WOW! Those were simpler times when we had little crime and the worst thing that happened on campus was gum and sleeping in class. Teacher ratios were 20 to 1 and a tour at the historic bus cost 10 cents. We won't even go to what it cost for super out or an ice cream cone.

Today change happens just waking up. We see the world view has changed, the need for constant stimulation is a change and the focus of a humans attention seems to have shifted from others to self. So when it is time to plan for my son to transition for junior high to high school I am freaked out by change on so many levels. Lets just consider what I observed today that has caused me anxiety that will cause me to self medicate if I think about it too long.

The school size is 1800 not 640..the class size on average is 40 with 1 instructor...the common language is what used to be considered slang and which at one point was not even included in Websters with a formal definition but now is defined and printed on tee shirts. The clothes themselves are by definition immodest but by school policy do not expose certain body areas so must be permitted. I couldn't wear pants until I was in 9th grade!!! I played in the snow in a dress for a mandatory 20 minute period twice a day below zero or not! CHANGE!

I see a lot of great opportunity at high school however I see a lot of issues or concerns in supervision, safety and the over use of "we have never had an incident" phrase. I must remind everyone that it only takes one to significantly change your world view. And my son will be in the mix for change, both wonderful and challenging. And, and, and......I could go insane with concerns and fears about change. But at the end of the day when everyone has arrived home safely I remember that at the beginning of the day I put my son, husband, family and friends safety in the hands of the ONLY ONE who has control or ability to protect and change the course of life. So tomorrow I need to change, and perhaps start by recalling Who is in control, Who has power and Who will be with my son, husband, family and friends.

Jude 24-25

Comments

  1. Loving God with all our heart, mind and soul means trusting that God who is in control, sovereign and WILL take care of our loved ones. You know I know what I speak of. :) God loves your husband and son more than you know. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! I am grateful He is always in charge but I don't always remember that at the right times:) Ha. I come around eventually each day, just a matter of if it is dawn or dusk or after coffee. My goal: Look up not out!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts