Here's to Aging

Well as I approach yet another wonderful anniversary of my 18th birthday I find more physician orders for investigation and fewer working parts. Whatever does this mean? I know that these bodies are vessels or better failing, temporary houses. But I also know that while I am in "the house" I would like to assure that the plumbing is sound and their are no rotting beams or rusty hardware.




So here it is, the C word. I know, I mentioned this in passing before. I don't know why but I have resisted this for 2 years. My doctor was actually quite rude handing me the order for a colonoscopy well before my 50th birthday....BECAUSE I was turning 50. That is like punishment for reaching a landmark day. I quickly replied "No way. That is not a proper celebration for the half century mark. You don't give that sentence to someone who is going to turn 50 but because they DID turn 50!" He laughed and gave me permission to wait until after my 50th birthday. I jumped right on it...................more or less..........okay two years to get it scheduled but I have it done. It is on the books. I would appreciate some emergency or crisis intervention from anyone but I have a feeling I will have to bite the bullet or laxative, whatever the appropriate preparation may include.



Then there is this whole "back" thing. What a trip. I have gone from not being able to stand on Fathers day to reduced pain but no feeling whenever I sit, cross my legs, keep my legs straight or flex my legs. Other than that I am good to go, except for the first and second toe, both feet. Ahhh and here it is. I have avoided diabetes and neuropathy (loss of sensation to feet) with weight loss and diet only to develop neuropathy (loss of sensation to feet) from my back, aka, radiculopathy. I find that ridiculous! HAHA And what is with the tail bone? I have more discomfort from that now then when I was thrown from a horse years ago.....Yee Ha! I do remember that fractured pelvis though, and head, and I think something else. Oh yes, ego.




But not to worry. I have to tell you it's all good as my husband says. These are but light, momentary afflictions (interruptions) that have no bearing on my here and now, or my eternity in glory. They are irrelevant in the big picture. They could affect me badly if I let them but why? I have perspective around me on a daily basis. There are those with more or less, better or worse. I am good. And if all goes well my meds will prevent me from remembering the "test" so all I have to worry about is remembering to get there for the test. If I ever am to have a memory lapse this would be the best time ever. HA.



To be clear I will not, like many television personalities, show you pictures or describe any gory details. I wont be on YouTube.....unless there is an illegal camera phone in the room. I will not repeat comments made by physicians who speak candidly when they think you are sedated. I will not discuss my bowel prep or outcome in any manner. I will focus on the "afterlife", i.e. after the test resuming my wonderful life. I look forward to that. See, perspective! It only takes a miserable procedure and a pain in the back to remind you of how great life is. Once home I will sigh deeply, sit on my special chair cushion and enjoy a night of boxing with my husband. Thank  goodness I like to watch violent sports:-)



Comments

Popular Posts