Part II: Like Sands Thru the Hourglass..........

Well,

You have survived Part I and dared to see what is next, so here now is 'the rest of the story' to quote my favorite man in the world......DAD! Master Gates came running out of the tunnel after graduation, "I did it. I did it." Yes he did. He hugged, smiled, hugged some more, talked very loudly, full of excitement. The energy was palpable. Certainly every senior there was floating at least 3 feet off the ground. Wonderful!!



Then his dad said the magic words...."We should go home to your PARTY!" Thought he was going to run home. Dad managed to keep up with him, and transport him IN the truck safely home to a house full of guests. You see, I have some of the best friends in the world. MANY MANY friends. Caroline and Kim had prepared the house. Diana took grandma back to her care facility. Tonya, Carolyn and Rebecca were armed with cameras. Charlotte brought fruit and cupcakes. Grandma and Grandpa Art were right in the middle of the party. Friends who have walked 'the walk' with us came along with their children and grown ups. It was AWESOME! I am certain that I did not get to speak to everyone. I hugged them all a million times in my heart though!!! If you had a warm feeling, and you weren't wet, that was me sending a hug!




Now, there is a prologue to this story that is key to the entire event which just adds more fun. You see, Cody planned his graduation party about October. All he wanted was an 'indoor outdoor party' at his house so kids could play in the back and then in his room. you see, we rarely have company. We are working on changing that lately. Anyway, the yard has been waiting it's rejuvenation for some time and it was in April that Rich inquired as to the plan for graduation. I reminded him that the plan is the backyard! So getting the green light we hired the most wonderful landscapers to finish the yard. And they did, the DAY BEFORE! I knew they would get it done. They knew what or WHO we were working for. It was great.







AND my dear friends Caroline (who flew in from CALIFORNIA) and Kim spent two days helping me get it all together. Incredible. They made it fun, easier and exciting! Besides which there was a lot of girl chat and french food. YES our favorite place Le Chalet was a part of the celebration. Now fast forward back to the boy who had not seen the yard nor the decorations arriving at home to gates open wide and people! LOTS OF PEOPLE! Bubbles in the air (the grown ups seemed to enjoy these the most), balloons and snappy sunglasses. AND a ton of food. We collected the bounty of gifts and cards by the fireplace inside and I was thinking it would make sense to open them after since there was such a large group. Well, what was I thinking!

















"Please, please, please PLEASE mom? Please can I open my gifts?" Now that in itself was nearly the hook, but i was sunk when he was backed up by 10 other anxious teens wanting to see what he got. OKAY! So about 40+ people crowded in the living room, the teens crammed in the center like Christmas morning. That was truly the best moment for me. Seeing the kids tear into bags and packages and cards exclaiming with excitement at each thing, passing it all around. Magnetic! I glanced around the room and everyone was just smiling. I don't think any of us old people knew what to expect but it was priceless. I will probably still be smiling 30 years from now. Ha. He got everything he loves, balloons, candy, silly costumes, masks, crafts, photo books, video games, gaming systems, clothes, gift cards and money. And he got a visit from his most wonderful GIRL-FRIEND Tanya!!!! He was ear to ear smiles.....more than usual. Yes I am gushing a bit but it is an overwhelming thing to see that God has indeed shown such favor on our son.










Well the night ended before 10 p.m., cleaned up and put entirely away before everyone left. Linda, Charlotte, Nicole, Collin, and honestly I am not sure who else.....but THANK YOU for all the help cleaning up. I am still emotional when I think about this great day. You see as the mother of a special needs child you dream. You dream that they will be able to read, write a little, socialize with others, have friends, go to a dance, learn to take care of themselves, graduate..........My dreams have come true. I am amazed at the human Cody has become. I am grateful for the many friends who have embraced him and helped him arrive!



Comments

Popular Posts