Passage of Time......................

It is often difficult to summarize life's events in the simple written word or even the verbal description of emotions. Life is fluid just as a tide or current where turbulence and the unexpected rock fish push you along at sometimes breakneck speeds. That has been the course of the past year really. Many things that have challenged me, but in the end I have remained on course, bruised and battered, but safe. Since last seen in print a few major life events have occurred.

Our wonderful son has turned 18. He is a man! He is wonderful, happy and enjoying every second of his life. He often reminds us to do the same. JOY!



He started his training program and is loving it. Several of his friends already go there so it was not a completely strange environment. He is developing his new routine and is focused on training to be a Red Power Ranger. That being said I have reminded him that all super heroes have a day job. He will decide what that will be this next year.

I turned 54! It is not bad. Of course I am not afraid of age or gray hair. I enjoy life and all of the many adventures that go with it. My favorite things are those who are on the road with me. I am SO blessed by family and friends. I can not begin to say how much pleasure I get but it is such that I can tell you I am rich beyond measure.

After a year of deteriorating health and advanced degenerative bone disease I received a new right total hip. How exciting. So of course I had to find the perfect walker (I already have a rockin? cane) then commit to getting it done. I was a bit nervous at brief moments but so ready to try something. At three weeks out today I am using only a cane and doing well for short periods without that! I drove for the first time today and no new paint so that is great. I find the biggest challenge in NOT limping as I no longer need to but have walked that way so long it is a HABIT! LOL I am already noticing a decrease in pain to my lower back and left hip so that is remarkable.

Finally, is the loss of my precious mother. She passed away September 4, 2014. She died very peacefully, very much like my father. I am only now beginning to process the very large gap that is there. It is as if you imagine a family dinner with those two seats empty at the table. And the number of times I catch myself thinking 'oh I should call mom' or 'wonder if dad has seen that'. Much like my limp, those are habits of life but I feel some that will not depart in this life time.

I wrote this bio about my mom and want to share it with you.

Della Ree Lightfoot was born in San Augustine Texas to William Bonnie Lightfoot and Lucy Jane Landrum. Her family relocated to Louisiana when she was young. Her father was a farmer who would get the family day started by making coffee. He would pour a cup he would share with his wife before going to the field. Della's mom had many talents she shared with her children, cooking, needlework and sewing to name a few. Della would share those gifts throughout her life with her family as she loved to cook, create beautiful wall hangings, afghans, quilts and clothing.



She met her future husband, Dale, while working in the local drugstore. He was stationed at the base and was so taken with her that he spent his free time taking a ferry, train and hike just to see her. When he flew back to propose she said yes! She had to travel to Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota to marry her handsome military man. They started out in a basement apartment with a low ceiling and close quarters. They spent time dreaming of their future, saving pennies and beginning their family.



Della had three children, Linda, Dale Jr and Judy, who provided lots of fun and adventure for the years to come. She enjoyed being a mother, bowling, traveling, making a beautiful home and supporting the dreams of her children. Girl and Boy scouts, sports, music, road rallies, theater, you name it someone was involved in it. As each left for college and to start their own families she and Dale found time for adventures of their own. A couple of bus tours to places like Branson, Boston and Niagara Falls provided great memories. Treasure hunting in antique shops in small towns near their home and a lunch out in the local eatery was their favorite thing to do. They loved to spend time together.



Della was blessed with 6 grandchildren and 6 great grandchildren. She enjoyed everyone’s visits and keeping pictures all around her that she could look at over and over. She also took great pleasure in letters, conversations and visits with her extended family including nephews, nieces, cousins, siblings and many others. It would be her great joy to share about her family. In addition Dale and Della had lovely friends, who like family, stayed in contact and provided wonderful visits.



Della and Dale moved several times over their years, living in Texas, South Dakota a few times, California, Bermuda, Illinois, Virginia, Kansas and Arizona. Her last two years she lived in an assisted living community where she enjoyed the company of her neighbors and wonderful care providers. She was known for her hugs, kisses and kind words. The staff really looked forward to taking care of her.



She had great faith and confidence that not only was her life blessed by the Lord but her eternal life was secured by Christ at the cross. She prayed regularly for her family, friends and others that they would come to that same understanding and comfort. She enjoyed seeing her children, grandchildren, great grandchildren nieces and nephews this year. She had many happy memories as we have reminisced this summer. She “loves, loves, loves' you all and always prayed that God would keep you all safe.
And now her journey is complete. She passed away very peacefully. The door has opened as the glory of heaven embraced mom, renewing her mind and body, reuniting her with 'her Dale', father, mother, brothers, sisters and grandson. She is made whole her body free. So it is in an instant, she is set free, celebrating her victory! We love our family, grateful for every moment! It has been the most grand adventure!
Jude 24-25

Comments

Popular Posts