My Dreams Realized 100 Times

It is always a very different reality for our family than most may imagine. We have a special (needs) son. I was young once, dreamt of 100 children and being the epitome of the perfect mom serving gourmet meals and sewing matching clothes. Yes, I really had these visions, but remember I had a southern mother who grew up doing this with her Mama for her family and I wanted to do this too. It was a secret of course as it would have taken all of the fun out of my rebellious years if she knew I wanted to be like her.
But one thing has been true in my life, I have No Clue what to expect, planned or unplanned. No control. Sigh! I leave that to the Author. So for me I take the day as it is presented and move that way. So for me, a wonderful husband and a single child who is forced to fulfill my dreams for 100! I say forced lightly as I believe he has dreams for 100 lives so it is a good fit! His world is neither predictable nor dull. He lives for the adventure, could get that from me just sayin.



So we spent the first dozen years discovering him. What makes him tic, favorite characters, songs, clothes, foods, colors and things to do. It was clear, for example, that I was going to share my every waking hour with a purple dinosaur, having 100 songs stuck in my head ready to sing at the drop of a hat. On a positive note by 5 he had learned colors, numbers, days of the week, please and thank you. And that was just the beginning.
We also spent that same dozen years living on the edge of anxiety, up all night, illness, treatments, hospitalizations, emergency rooms, insanity a 100 times telling the same story and having the same tests where I sang the same songs to calm the same precious child with a 100 lives.
It would be a random fact that drove me to the doctors and tests and discoveries that moved us to the second act. Yes my life is a play, or possibly a good movie. In this half we have poured our every drop of energy into making up time leaving no tape behind. Crafts or costumes created almost daily with cardboard, pipe cleaners and tape. As a matter of fact if you ask him what he needs from the store, tape is usually on the list twice. The bleary eyes of days gone by are replaced by eyes that sparkle with imagination, details and inventions.
See it, make it, watch it, act it! We have drums, guitars, a full Oklahoma and Outer Space wardrobe, and art lining the walls of my house. Each creation enters the living room whether in hand or grabber and is presented with full description of the artists work. And it is then taped up on display. Marvelous. Who needs the Smithsonian, I have Master Gates.


Sports, not his favorite always but always willing. And when he won he did it big. Football with a pass and a touch down, basketball with a score in his game as well as in an adjacent game, track running alone or with the entire unified partners and AZ Cardinals mascot. Cheer leading and bowling and bocci and soccer (wore the uniform well). No matter what it was he liked to be present even if he did it 'his way'.
And that creative talent knows no limits. He loves to dance. ballet, hip hop, remix, Up Town Funk and so much more. And do musical ballets, productions. Sign language with or without music, ASL, BSL or GSL (his own language). Karate and photography (he is excellent actually) and art and costume design and story writing and story telling! It is amazing.
It is as if 100 talents have been given to one young man with 100 ideas a day. I am blessed. I never tire of his mind and love to live with and through him. When this gig started 19 years ago I thought how blessed I was 'even though'.....shame on my unbelief. There is no lack to the fulfillment of my dream. And as long as I can be in the plays, or make the costumes, or wear the tutu, or scream loudly at his performance or cry with joy or post a zillion pictures, I am good with my 1 in a 100 gift. I have more than I dreamed of loving every minute and looking forward to the next 100 grand adventures.


Comments

Popular Posts