World Peace

That's right, it is found here on this planet. It is not on the evening news, in the slur of opposing candidates, in the disparity in religion, in the hateful crime against humanity. It is in the hearts of those who see all as friends, as equals, despite color, country or party. I have spoken of it at times in small images with groups of 5 or 10 or 20. I have imagined that if only they could be seen and if they could be used as examples the human race would see each other through very different eyes.





I have watched this world walk away, around or into these beacons of joy while mocking them for their lack of. Lack of money, work, words, skill, ability. Yet this beautiful sea of smiles and hugs sees past that hurt and anger, and embraces them all anyway if they can. It is not that they don't know that people are being mean, it is that it doesn't matter really. They might experience hurt feelings but in most cases quickly resolve to solve the cruelty by giving back something that frankly, others don't deserve. They operate out of grace and mercy.





World Peace happened in LA, is that possible? It happened at the Special Olympics World Games. 7000 athletes from 170 countries with 30000 volunteers and twice as many supporters. And there was joy. While I was whining about heat and long lines, my son stood patiently. While I wanted to sit down, my son stood patiently. My son stood, patiently, as did 1000's of others. They waited out of excitement, in the presence of their friends whether they knew them or not. I blamed, slurred, criticized while he stood quietly. I apologized and he forgave me. "It's alright mom,  I love you!"







World Peace as we watched the masses collecting for the games while we danced. They danced with us or stood by us or held our hands or sat near us. They celebrated, they smiled, laughed, hugged, helped each other though complete strangers. World peace happened at the games. And I am still full of humility and tears. It was a glimpse of what God intended when he put us in place and we wait with anticipation to live in that state of joy again. If only for a moment I am certain we saw God smile.





I have been the mom who wants to tell you everything her son accomplishes. I realize this as I have just spent a lot of money to see the first two years of my sons life moved from VHS to digital. And do you know what I saw, what I now realize I forced my loved ones to endure.....nothing. Hours of an adorable baby dressed in a variety of adorable clothes doing absolutely nothing. But WOW he sure could do it well. Now as an adult, 19, he has eclipsed my wildest dreams and makes me incredibly proud every day. He is my World Peace.




He has been surrounded by amazing family, friends, teachers, mentors and absolute strangers who have watched him grow, who see his actions, who admire his kindness. World Peace can happen. So here are a few glimpses from the games. If you didn't take the time to watch, find the links on Youtube, It is inspiration times a zillion from the founding of the Special Olympics, Best Buddies and Unified Sports to the meaning it brings to those athletes and the world.










Comments

Popular Posts