On The Road Again...........

My life has continued to becoming more! More able, more active, more talkative, more! And I have energy to DO things. While I was always forcing myself in the past few years, now I eagerly do them.

- I have attended a three day conference with my colleagues, who likely were beginning to think I did not exist but was merely a recorded voice. LOL It was fantastic to be in the room, talk to others and see their beautiful wonderful smiles. I love my team. They have been supportive and positive and willing to help me. What a gift.
- And I went to Tucson twice. Once for a summit with our entire team and once to meet the department leaders and see the sister facilities. It was wonderful to meet these extended teams and see what their world of work looks like. It helps make sense of the day to day things and how change impacts them.
- I danced, without pause. Ok it was the Hokey Pokey but that is a lot of putting stuff in and taking it back out. And mine all went along. LOL We laughed, the moms having far more fun than the kids. I have always loved this group and am grateful for the love I have from them. They have been solid for the last few years in keeping Cody and I in step.
- I went to watch Cody perform at the GCU basketball game and wished I was in the lower seating levels to act completely inappropriate for my age. What a great powerhouse of team spirit. It was energizing. And Cody's dance crew received rave applause. They rocked it. I have the clip from my view which is still fun!.

One Step Beyond performing at the GCU Halftime

I have learned so much from this journey that will have a big impact on how I look at some of my patients and friends. Things from my observations include:

- Those who are paralyzed can be viewed as apathetic, disengaged, non compliant. What I can tell you is that when your neuro system is not working, you ARE apathetic, disengaged and so you CANT make yourself do some things. It is not something anyone wants, it is a result of the injury or condition.
- Chronic pain causes huge fatigue, mental and physical. You can't will yourself to do things no matter how much you know you should. Your house goes to pot, your family loses out, you just lose momentum. You may learn to power through but that is likely the result of legal, prescribed narcotics and excessive over the counter items. It's true. And coffee, which I have a love for, drink regularly became an essential part of my daily life.
- There is never enough sleep, ever. It is possible to sleep around the clock and need to go back to bed in an hour. No one should be surprised or make any comments about it. Just sayin.
- You may not comb your hair, for days.
- You definitely can become cranky, angry, short tempered, impatient, etc, etc. Not because of anyone really, but because the effort to stay on topic no longer exists. You only have enough energy for that one thought and then you are done. I am guilty, I will forever owe gratitude for others patience.
- You quickly realize who is IN YOUR CIRCLE and who is not. Not the first time I have had this lesson but definitely a great refreshing of that list. You know who you are and I am forever grateful. You have my heart.

So there it is. I continue to enjoy the wind beneath my wings. I am enjoying being in the game again. Great job, great team, great friends and of course always a great family. I have been given the best!

So until I write next time..........Enjoy a few smiles.






Comments

Popular Posts