New Beginnings




I love a NEW year. It is a chance to start new, fresh. A blank slate so to speak. Now that being said, there are some things that I like to carry forward as reminders or memories of lessons learned. Good, bad or just nuts it is a wonderful opportunity to learn from the past and apply to the future.

As I visit my social network, I have enjoyed reconnecting with old friends, getting to know family better and sharing thoughts or events with those who, like you, are willing to read them. As I have reflected today I have laughed over old times and thanked God I have grown. I have been humbled by those things which were painful or brought sorrow to me or my family or friends. And of course some things are just there, unable to be framed as there is still unfinished or unresolved business.

That being said, it is normal I think to end an old year in this manner, with a list of the years pros and cons, good and bad. And if we are planning for new year resolutions, it is good to have a list to start from. No sense repeating any finished work, or worse still, undoing completed work. For me it is the challenge of letting go of what I can not change and fully embracing those things I can or should.

So, I can imagine that everyone who knows me would love to make suggestions on what I should focus on in 2011. Thank you in advance for your input! I tend to be the one who wants to do it all and I want to do it now! Is there a problem with this? I have friends who for years have told me they are not sure how I cover all my bases, get it all done, run in circles. Well, I am finally thinking I am not so sure I do get all my bases covered WELL. I do many things but don't always get to give each of them the attention I would desire or that they deserve.

So the first thing I think may help me and others is to:

1. Make a list of all required activities and time involved
2. Make a list of all optional/volunteer activities and time involved
3. Make a list of all daily chores and time involved
4. Make a list of most important people, most to less most?!
5. Make a list of how many waking hours are available every day

NOW, on a blank weekly calendar fill it in.....run out of space? I already have and I am not done blogging! Ha. Where did you put "me" time, prayer time, laundry, family dinner, husband, parents, friends, work.....it is really hard. I want everyone in the top box but as I age (I said it, I am aging!) I am finding more value or desire for some things and willing to spend much less energy on others. Perhaps it is because I know some things I can never fix, but a few things I may be able to impact. I must focus there.

I have a lot of work to do on my list this weekend, but I will have it done by Monday. I have put it on my required list! I want to live more intentionally this year, enjoy more laughing this year, get to know family and dear friends even better and serve in the RIGHT place, not just any place. Phew! Think there is any hope for me? I hope so as I tire easier, am slightly less resilient then in my youth and well, I am cranky sometimes, a totally new thing for me. Don't over think this as I am SURE it will pass in a year or 10 :-)

So hormones and age aside, I hope that you will walk with me this year. I truly enjoy my family and friends. I think you all rock and I am constantly inspired to grow, be better in my daily walk. I recall a famous (humerous) quote which reflects how I feel as I learn from some of you. I am thinking that many of you feel the same about me!

"It may be an unwise man that doesn't learn from his own mistakes but it's an absolute idiot that doesn't learn from other people's" Frasier 1996

Comments

Popular Posts