Lessons from the Throne


Okay, there is no where this blog can go but down the toilet on this one. Today I thought about the subtle changes that impact life as I sat down on an unsecured porcelain seat?! Hmmmm

Well anyway as I sat down for what I thought was a simple task I was treated to a small amusement ride, absolutely free of charge. I recovered without event and without attracting any sign of alarm from whomever was knocking constantly at the door. Etiquette 101: If once you have knocked and the door is still locked, ...you can continue to pace knowing someone just isn't done.:-)

The rest of the day was uneventful until I arrived home and well, you know I am 50! So I visited my clean and relaxing loo with a deep sigh of relief only to discover that my own seat was a bit loose. Nothing like the earlier event, but still a little wobble was noted. I began to ask myself a couple of questions that took me on one of my bunny trails, so here it is.

I began to wonder how that perfectly tightened bolt became loose, and eventually completely unwound. And without really being noticed until it was several revolutions from sound. This made me think about our own lives. Subtle changes cause us to slowly lose focus, and can eventually derail us completely leaving us to spin recklessly off the security of the "throne". It is frightening how my little mind wanders isn't it?

I often think I have a plan and I am committed to it, focused, never gonna quit or give in. Then like that small plastic toilet seat bolt, I start to turn around, looking everywhere but my target. I either have to stop and "get a grip" or I will end up spinning wildly until I am falling onto a dirty, smelly tile floor. Thought provoking and yet so true!

And what about the rider? Have you ever imagined what impact or effect you have on others who are relying on you to stay true? If we loose our hold on the task others go slip sliding away with us. Wow, who knew this could all come from porcelain?

So as I start my next big project I am going to remember that little bolt. I am going to remember to hold on tight, stay focused and avoid those less than desirable pitfalls that leave you unsatisfied and stained by the, well, you know. And since this is one of those analogies that I will frequently be reminded of I think there is a chance I will remember this one!

Comments

Popular Posts