Dream Realized

You never really know what you are missing until it shows up. Profound, right? Well I think dreaming, planning a life, imagining how it is supposed to go starts very young. It may be from shows we watch, the behavior of those around us, the toys we play with. It could be a plan for escape from the life less desirable. As you grow, you learn more about the world around you, what is and is not good. And you begin, a step at a time, to determine who you are and what you would like to become. Those steps seem slow, long, and sometimes difficult. And at times they seem down right  impossible. "It will never happen for me" "I will never get my hearts desire."
I have heard these many times. Oh wait, I think it is because I have said them throughout my life. But one at a time, those dreams or desires are fulfilled. It is frequently NOT in a manner I requested, desired or imagined. It does always seem to work out for the best though. I learn to see or experience things in a way I never could have designed.
3 year old - I want to be a nurse and take care of all the sick people in the world, starting with my duck. Okay, not a person but I didn't have very many willing patients at 3.
7 year old - I want to go to India. Nepal and Goa! Why these two areas, well thank National Geographic for that. The map pull out was awesome!
11 year old - I want 25 children. I thought this way I will always have someone to play with.
15 year old - I want to work in a hospital taking care of sick children. I have no idea why, though I love children and thought perhaps sick ones were easier to corral.
19 year old - I want to get married to a missionary. Likely figured I could get to India faster that way.
WELL, I have enjoyed nursing taking care of those who are sick. I have worked in many challenging areas and have loved it. I did get to go to India, but not northern but the lower half o f the continent. I met the most lovely family and saw a great number of wonderful things. We are still friends today;.
I don't have 25 children. I am thinking that was Divine intervention, though I could have had a television show to help pay for them. Ha! I did have 5 miscarriages and one adorable son, who is the greatest gift ever.
I have worked in pediatrics and with special needs communities for many years up until I had my son, who has special needs. Not what I imagined but without a doubt the best gift. He keeps me busy enough to make me believe I have 25 children some days, but thankfully, NOT! I did not marry a missionary who travels the world, which turns out to be the necessary thing. Too many health issues in the family to travel. So you see God knew.
Now I am finally enjoying some of those children's activities that I did not even realize were sitting in the shelf of my heart. Things like helping my son train and compete in Special Olympics sports. And just this week to perform in a ballet, Cinderella. He was on stage with 100 other children, typical and special needs. COOL! All the weeks of practice, helping with costumes and helping behind the scenes to dress, supervise and mend was a great time. I told my husband I realized I had been waiting all my life to be able to do this. It was a dream fulfilled FOR ME and I am fairly certain Cody too. He had a gas and this was a very NORMAL experience for us doing something in the arts which I LOVE. So cool for so many reasons.
So I would just suggest that if you are feeling unfulfilled, perhaps it is one of these hidden desires that has yet to be fulfilled. While I don't think you need to go back to the womb (no contest; warm, safe, rest) I think there may be that dream that you are holding on to and it is yet to be recognized or addressed. You may simply need some mice, a princess and ballet shoes to realize that special moment.

Jude 24-25

Comments

  1. I love your blog!! This post was so wonderful. I relate to you so much! :) I keep saying I want to adopt all the children of the world. I am adding your blog to my blogroll on my blog--thank you so much for sharing! It was wonderful to meet you and Cody and I am thrilled y'all were a part of this production.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was lovely! What a life full of gifts -- the exact ones GOD had planned for Judy! Isn't that so comforting?! So glad to KNOW you and find your blog!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts