I Need a Hug!

These are my very favorite words in the whole world. It was always something I have been free to share, a touchy feelie kind of girl. Ha. But hearing those four little words from my "man child" well he can have just about anything he wants. And he does! Okay I am bad, he is spoiled, but he is so cute and he does have to earn things. He has to follow rules, be compliant, complete a task, wake up in the morning :-) So I may be weak at times, but who are we kidding. I would give an arm or a kidney if he asked for a hug first or just right after the request.
When I think of those who don't know how to show genuine affection I am sad. I know people who only hug people who would hug them, they won't initiate it or share it. They are kind of greedy with the affection. Then there are those who are not gifted with showing physical affection, that is just tragic. Not only do I wonder what is in their heart, but I wonder what hurt they have carried through life that would prevent them from showing or receiving affection, even a simple hug!
Then there are those who have no one to hug. They would love one, but perhaps they are poor or unkempt, scaring off the world walking around them with up tilted noses. Or they are mentally not able to communicate, yet they still need that hug desperately! So many are afraid of what will happen, what they will catch, who will see them. All of this does not matter a whit in the eternal world. God says we may entertain angels unaware. Dale Evans wrote a book by this title about a daughter they had adopted, a baby with Down syndrome, when it was not fashionable to do so. They were not afraid for a moment to hold, kiss, hug or show off this unassuming little girl. Yet I have seen those who today, in a world of advanced knowledge and education, who will not let themselves be seen showing affection to a challenged child or adult. They not only withhold much needed affection and validation for that lovely and innocent life, but they have missed the greatest reward. A free, unsolicited,uncomplicated hug, no strings attached. How often does that really happen??
Well, for me everyday, many times. Yes it is true I am his mother and he tells me I am his Best Girl In The World Ever, but he would just as freely hug every other person he meets over the course of the day. And he would mean it, no false affection, no unspoken mean words, just a sweet, warm, firm, I Got You kind of hug, no lines to wait in!!!
I hope that if you have a hugger in your life, you go straight away and grab a couple to get you through the day. If you don't go find one, collect a few and perhaps take lessons on giving them away. It is healthy for you the huggee, it is healthy for them the hugger and it is a great gift for the global community we live in. So from this virtual conversation I am sending you a BIG HUG! Now, pass it on!!
Jude 24-25

Comments

  1. I love hugs!! :) Thank you for sharing and encouraging others to hug and be hugged!!! People just don't realize how blessed they will be by hugging others...
    ~Claire

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts