Small Grain Big Mountain

Gluten, a tiny protein found in wheat, rye, barley, malt, tritichale and spelt. How big is a grain that contains this powerful element? Lets just say it can travel miles on a a summer breeze! Yet this tiny grain can cause irreversable, life altering health issues if your body can not metabolize it, attacking itself instead of the enemy. And all of this takes me to the line at Sprouts. Nothing says "special" like a ton of all gluten free food and you reach VIP status when you see the total. Talk about national debt!!! BUT it is a gift in disguise. Who knew!!
"I can not take the texture, like crunching on fried ants or a city cockroach" the cashier exclaimed to which I ponder what are the country roaches like. Hmmm! But of course knowing we are talking about bread might take your imagination down another road all together. Ha!

My son did not like me for months after I took away his gluten. He did have after all live on a pure dairy gluten diet. And the stuff I made or found those first months?? Priceless because you can't put a price on torture. Ha!

I made bread so heavy it would hold down a tarp in a tornado. And the pasta, oh the pasta! Overcook it one milli second and it is mush, under cook it and it is rocks. I calculated there is a three second window between those two. I threw away a lot of pasta those first months.

Now the fact is that most things headed for your mouth have gluten. Flour, anything with flour. And anything thickened! Gravy, dressings, sauces, everything! Who could have guessed it would be testing to diagnose a blood related cancer or celiac disease. I remember thinking I was not sure which one I would survive, let alone Cody.

Now you might say Celiac disease, but this is a kid who was a true blue "dairyterian". Never touched a none dairy product in 12 years all of which were served on bread or pasta. Pizza, mac n' cheese, cheese sandwich. I would have to remove every known food source and start from scratch. He had never touched meat, veggies.

Fortunately it was Celiac disease and it only took me a year to learn to cook food that did not out weigh us and that did not feel like shattered glass when you chew. I am proud to say I can make a mean blueberry muffin, chocolate brownies are awesome and well the gravy at Thanksgiving I was told was the best ever! I am so GRATEFUL that my son still loves me and has become happy with his food world today. It is all good.....NOW!



It is important to know that like Matthew 17:20 "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

Truly, one step at a time I have told the mountain to move and in a most wonderful way it did!

Comments

Popular Posts