Wednesday ..... I have some thoughts

So I have been enjoying the new job. A great time of adjustment, learning a new role, identifying the players, learning the rules, getting into a new routine, changing the wardrobe, driving endlessly, writing, reading and arithmetic! All true you see, you have to be able to read, create, speak, budget, present, schedule, plan, yada yada yada!

What have I learned is the next thing......I know you were going to ask because that's what you do. You are curious or nosey or bored or living vicariously through my exciting life in the desert. Ha. That's good!! Anyway I spent the past two weeks in situations where I was forced to breathe deeply often and ponder WHY I went into management! Well here are the nuggets from the first three months:

I love working with almost everyone almost all of the time. A colleague sent this to me today and suggested it would be a great "visual" to let those who need it know that they have ....... well....... ya know!



I love creating things. Arts, crafts and party planning are things I love. I should really take my reports to a much more creative level and "dress" them in such a way that NO ONE can say a negative thing! Bows, ribbons, fancy paper and perhaps a basket of chocolates or baked goods. Who can get mad with muffins in the room, right?





I am a very patient person. Really!     ............  sigh   .............  um   ........You  know, if you are done with this sentence you can move along already.......



I DO want to retire some day so that I can choose the projects, people, place, subject matter and schedule. Will I be a lay about? NOT! I would be able to do daily things like, vacuum, underwear shopping (don't ask), taking a bath, hygiene. You know, those things that get "comped" in order to complete more pressing tasks like creating a proposal to impact 11,000 employees or dealing with misbehaved  employees (ADULTS) or deciding which of the three meetings scheduled at the same time and day in three locations all marked "priority high" to go to. I would instead perhaps have one thing to do during the day, like well, find "relief"! Ha. Sounds silly doesn't it, but do you know I did not do that today until just a bit ago. I understand there are people in the world who get to find relief more than once or twice a day. I would like to be one of those people. It is near the top of my retirement list. Then I would volunteer, visit family or friends, clean, vacuum and definitely change out the underwear drawers. Day two might take more time to plan for, but it sounds like a great start.



Seriously, I do love my job, I love the challenge and I do love the people. I am reminded of how unique each person is and find each person has specific gifts and talents, and yes, irritations. But face it, I am irritating. I must be! We all have something and it is learning how to draw out those positive things in order to overshadow or change those things from the "dark side" of each person. I am inspired by the kids that accept and mentor Master Gates. They take him completely, whether he is cooperating or not, whether he gets it or not, they take him along for the ride. Sometimes I think grown ups need that. I have not always seen that done, but I think it is a great skill for us to learn or regain from our youth when we had more tolerance for differences in ............... everything.

There it is, my thoughts for today. Hope you had some good thoughts today too! I know I am ready to face a new day. And if I need it, I will send out the monkey. :-)

Comments

Popular Posts