Unexpected Segway

I love the thought that all roads lead to fun and adventure. I am a human though, so unlike my favorite canines, I am acutely aware that not all roads are fun despite the 'adventure' I embark on. What does make life 'worth it all' is the work we get to do along the way and the people who stand beside us.



FACT: work is a four letter word, often associated with harsh labor, inferior pay, lack of kudos.

QUESTION: Is that really what work is? Is all work bad? The words we use for 'work' may not be fully defined in our tiny view. Lets review.....

Hiking over a mile uphill with 50 pounds of winter camping gear so that you can be the first girl scout to camp in the snow.

Cooking and washing dishes to earn money.....for a first car.

Marching 6 days in a row for months to prepare for an international band trip to Europe.

Studying with crazy people and pots (fields) of coffee over the course of years all kinds of hours to become a nurse.

Flying more than 24 hours each way to teach hygiene and participate in crusades in India.

Fighting a sailfish and marlin for hours to reel them in.

Wooing a great man for weeks with spaghetti, chocolate and feminine whiles.

Planning a wedding including the travel plans, reservations and house sitter.

Waiting and waiting for a boy to be born who had to be delivered...I think against his will.

Rocking all night for days on end for years on end holding someone who depended on me.

Searching for the right doctors, the right schools, the right therapists, the right friends for a special son.

Watching life pass by at light speed with my son growing up and needing me less.

Waiting for the next phase.

Hoping for a clear vision and excellent hearing as I search the heavens.

Trusting that even when I am no longer here someone will continue the work.

Resting in hands so much stronger than mine.

I am thinking not all work is bad, or for not. I am also thinking I might actually like a lot of the things that might sound bad to the casual reader. I will probably choose to continue some of them, as a matter of fact. So I guess I need to say, "More later folks, I have work to do!"




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts