I AM Thankful

I have this full heart and great joy today. It may not always be so but almost everyday it is. I look at things with an optimistic view, a glass nearly full not partially empty or leaking or contaminated. Life happens, it brings good and bad, happy and sad, hard and easy. It is not about the circumstance or climate or emotion of the moment but about the things I gain, learn, incorporate into the great painting of life. I know not everyone has this frame of reference in their journey, but it has been a simple daily test for where I put my hope. And it is not on this planet.

So when I make my list of things I am thankful for it may and often does include things that for some seem 'wrong'. For example, I am grateful that while each of my parents suffered Alzheimer's Dementia, they were happy, sometimes knew me and seemed mostly content in their last days. I am grateful they each passed very peacefully. I am grateful my son was able to be a part of those days as he saw it was not to be feared and he is such a gentle servant, always glad to just sit with them, hold a hand. It was a great boon to his development as he talks easily about it to others and he understands when others are enduring the same. He learned to pray not just for healing but for peace. He is actively sharing his gifts with another dear young friend who is on hospice. He is not afraid or confused, and loves to visit, leave notes and pray.

I am grateful for the past two years of personal struggles as it has taught me to rely even more on the One who made me in the first place. I have hope for healing but patience in the process. I am above ground, upright and still know my name so this is a great day. My perspective is constantly framed by the genuinely difficult times I see others enduring and I am reminded that my situation is but a momentary affliction, guaranteed to pass into a very perfect eternity. Not everyone has discovered that path, and there is more concern and urgency for those who are lost than for those who are in the waiting room.

I am grateful for my family. We are fortunate to have family both near and far who shower me with text messages, silly cards, treasure hunting, coffee and love. It is a great gift. I love seeing the family grow, the young ones getting older and the old ones acting younger. That is my favorite part really as when you are old and choose to act how you feel, no one dares to say anything. They may stare, but in the end everyone is entertained. So I love entering a room and jumping into whatever behavior is appropriate for the moment. I suppose that is yet another gift of my sons influence, as I love being his friend and feel that I can "hang" with the best of them. I love when we get to spend any time with family though there never seems to be enough time. Life is short, so I drink it in.

I am grateful for my friends who have seen me through countless life events. It is hard when family is not near to help but my life is blessed with friends who have stepped in and stepped up. Helping with my own family when I was at my lowest, making sure I have rest, medication and coffee. It was my friends that traveled to help put on my sons incredible graduation party. One took my mom, two put it all together. It was incredible and is something I will never be able to thank them enough for. It was my friends who helped with both parents in life and death. They helped move them (a few times), care for them when I needed to be in more than one place and in the end help finalize the services for our family. It allowed my brother, sister and I to spend time together and with those who came. They have embraced my son as well to the point that I think they like him better. But that is great!

I am grateful for what we have been given. It is an honor to have the tangible things bestowed on us and I love that we can share it forward when we have opportunity. I see the world at large with so many needs and it is a gift to be able to help as we are directed. Nursing is that way, you have a skill, knowledge, calling to pay it forward if you will. When we have other gifts, possessions or finances or time, it makes sense to share our gifts forward. I have been on the receiving end of much and I am humbled when we get to do that.

I am grateful for the ability to worship, work and live where ever I want. This is a fragile gift that in our current world is being threatened. I am always mindful of the soldiers around the world who are watching, waiting and warring to protect us. It is a gift that could be lost if we are careless or take it for granted. Many have battled and lost lives to get to America, to protect our freedoms and to establish our country. I do not want to disrespect that sacrifice and I am honored to be surrounded by family and friends and generations of military service men and women. Thank you.

Last I am grateful for you, taking time to read this little blog. I am praying you will have a blessed Thanksgiving and that you will be encouraged to find your list of things to be grateful for. It is never the first brush stroke but the final one that best defines your place in the big picture as we are all important. A painting missing a single stroke is incomplete so we are all of great worth in the final draft. Thank you for your place in the painting. Jude 24-25

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your writing on gratitude and being thankful this Thanksgiving week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello sister Judy. I am so blessed to go thorugh your blog post on being thankful . I am blessed and feel fortunate and privileged to get connected with you because of who you are in the Lord Jesus Christ. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India and love getting connected with the people of God around the world to be encouraged, strengthen and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 36yrs in the great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We reach eancourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come being a nurse with your growns up children to work with us in bringing physical and spiritual healing to the people who are sick. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear f rom you very soon. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail.com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. God's blessings on you, your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts