The Little Things in Life



It is the little things in life that can help a child through the day. A blanket with a hole, satin trim or or all the edging pulled off. Or in the case of my niece Becca, the fuzzy nap removed from every blanket in the house resulting in millions of fuzz balls around the house. Like dog hair they can never be completely removed. They cling to the underside of furniture so that after you move it all, vacuum twice and move it back, a new layer drops to the floor so that eventually you can do it again. Now you know how it is possible that 11 years after the blankets went to Good Will their presence is still haunting your home.

I remember my trip into the commissary at Christmas time as a young girl. I saw a huge display of monkeys, yellow and black with banana in hand. "Beanie. Beanie" I screamed as I ran over smaller children and old women. I was so loud that everyone in the place turned and smiled as I made an enormous scene at the site of my beloved monkey. How could my parents say no, really how could they? They couldn't and I still have him today. My son likes to play with him, but his first love is Barney who at any moment will completely fall apart. The fabric is wearing so thin on his back that I will have to see if I can get away with adding another green spot.

Now the big question should be "Who is Beany?" You have never seen a show with a monkey named Beany nor read a book with that character, right? It is true, Beanie is actually Cecil's' friend on Beanie and Cecil. A sea serpent and a BOY who other than a similar dress is clearly a boy......or is he? If we look at boy behavior it may very well assimilate that of apes. Climbing on everything, swinging from trees, picking things off their sisters or friends, snatching snacks and scratching everything that is within arms reach. Really not much different. Oh did I mention the constant noise? Very ape like behavior. And while I do not believe in evolution I can certainly see why a man would believe in it or at least relate to the fur balls. So it is clear to me that in a way I saw this monkey and immediately thought "It's the boy from TV". Close enough.

It would be wonderful if today all it took was that monkey or a fuzzy blanket, but now I am in need of other types of diversions to get me through the day. They can be any size and can arrive in a number of fashions. A positive kudos for a job well done, a gift for just no reason at all or a great cup of coffee. Peppermint Mocha Latte. A chocolate peppermint delight! My favorite escape is a nap. Quiet, peaceful, uninterrupted sleep where I can drift into a deep sleep far away from the challenges of the day and into that boat on the water with a friendly sea serpent and the little boy just having fun. Ahhhhhhh! I think I will go there now.

Comments

Popular Posts