Winkin and Blinkin and Are you Kidding Me?



"Well we have the lights on but they are doing the same thing as they did last year, so we unplugged them. They keep coming on and off. They aren't working right so we will just leave them off." Okay, so this is the conversation just yesterday. And it is the conversation that led to some poor neighbors adult son spending considerable time last year to "search through and fix" the lights. Is anyone thinking about that blinking phenomenon? So I am wondering about the last century and it's impact on the near centurions who are trying to adapt to the modern age.

I suppose in the good old days if you saw a flicker it meant your candle was out, or there was a breeze in the out house. And as advances were made it meant that you were standing at the switch flipping it up and down. So when did these blinking lights come into being and why is it causing so much stress for the old people? They have been challenged to keep up with much of modern day technology, but blinking lights? Hmmmm

In 1895 the first "electrically lit" tree was put on display at the white house. 1916the tungsten filament lights were first used for the Christmas tree. The 1940's saw bulb factories converted for wartime production and the Christmas lights were not manufactured. But it was in 1955 that the twinkling lamp or blinking bulbs were first used. 1955! So I am seeing a 50 year learning curve....Can that be right?

I have often thought I could be hard headed or stubborn or slow to change or learn new concepts, but 50 years? I am thinking it may be more than just something they are not familiar with. And then I think of exposure. If you never expose yourself to new things you can not learn them. And now as I recall my childhood I do not remember any deviation from the very traditional, standard decorations and activities. We never had a computer, digital camera, cable. I was blinded my entire life by a movie camera that was used with dinosaurs. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, we rather resembled the Brady's at times. Hmmm

So what can I learn from this little reflection you wonder? Well, first of all, don't force the old people to change. Make sure their lights don't blink and definitely do not add any electronic devises to the house. Secondly, challenge yourself daily so that you can keep up with change and have options for your Christmas lights from year to year. Thirdly be tolerant of the needs of others and the things they cling to as some day I am sure when the flying ship pulls up to my drive I will still want to fire up the Bronco and DRIVE to the store. Just think about what can change in the next 50 years.

Comments

  1. very good...now figure out how to print the cute pictures so we can see them :)
    I love you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts