Sunshine in a Bottle



I love this kid...., uh, MAN! Who let him grow up anyway. He brings a smile and warm spirit everywhere he goes. He blushes and gets so excited when there is good news. He is quiet and holds a hand when there is something serious. He is perceptive of the temperature in the room and the activity happening all around him. He misses NOTHING! He forgets NOTHING! He has unconditional, genuine, compassionate, steadfast love. Oh how I wish that could be bottled up and given out for Christmas. What a world we would have.

I gush a lot about our son, which if you have read any of this blog you will acknowledge is true. But there is something about him that is the best of gifts. I reflect about the day we had him, totally unaware of the extra chromosome he had and unprepared for a different life journey. It didn't matter to us. As a matter of fact, his father went straight to the library to learn what he needed to know to make a great start, no hesitation. We stood tall and were ready for the road ahead. But others, not so confident, or comfortable with the things that were different.

Comments were made that still ring in my memory. Who would find this life less than desirable, less than 'ideal'? Well I could tell you a few who did. And who would be uncomfortable with his diffabilities, his appearance? I can tell you who they were too. But those that stayed for the adventure and those that joined our forever family, they have been privileged to observe and reap the reward that is Cody. He has his grumpy moments, but they are precious few and far apart. As a matter of fact he has to remind me to take a deep breath, count to ten and stop talking loudly to other drivers on the road. Apparently they can't hear me anyway.

His way is calm, patient, forgiving. He would never intentionally hurt anyone, but he would definitely hug them, remind them he loves them and that it will all be okay. He is the nicest person I have ever met. And he is witty, quick to tell some jokes and have a good laugh. He is teased mercilessly by his mom (yes and I can't stop) and he laughs every time to make me feel good. LOL

He sings continuously, cheers on his favorite superheroes at top volume and plays a variety of instruments homemade and store bought. For hours! His imagination is constantly churning out new inventions and costumes with details. And everyday he adds more details. Most of them are puppets that he can make talk. They are very clever. He can describe them in great detail from their appearance to their personality.

He prays. We call him preacher and I believe he is a Pentecostal or at least charismatic. He can give a  great sermon and pray for the whole world in the course of a single session. It is wonderful. The longer he goes the more you hear his heart passionately intercede for those in need. It is a beautiful thing. He is a great example.

So today is Christmas. We made a zillion pit stops over the last four days. He was with me when I bought most of his gifts yet he pretended to be surprised. "You were with me, remember?" "I know mom!" LOL He plays Santa so he can hand out the gifts and make everyone happy. He cleans up, which he does daily, but wrappings and boxes. All of it.

So here I have this amazing son, my greatest gift, and today I celebrate his contribution to the family, our friends and the world! I feel sad for those who have chosen not to walk with us because their measure of what has value or meaning is skewed. They have missed a tremendous adventure, a silly and playful life. They have missed being touched by Sunshine in a Bottle!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts