The Holidays are Here



Well they are here. Who knew they would arrive this quickly. Just last week it was 1962 and I was enjoying my unbendable Barbie doll. Next thing you know you have experienced some time travel event sending you light years into the future and you find yourself reaching not for a toy but for the heating pad...and they say that time travel can't happen. Who are they kidding.
I remember waking up to the sound of my mom clanging dishes in the kitchen and putting the turkey in the oven at 4 a.m. and it would cook until 3 p.m. I don't know what temperature the oven was at. I don't understand that whole 1960's deal as today I don't have to cook my birds that long, so what is that all about? Years of torture waiting for that turkey. It probably has scarred me and I should be in counseling or something. It could be the reason I am overweight, fear of starvation, or hoarding, or some such.
The turkey smell was overwhelming, throughout the house it was all you could smell. All day you thought of one thing, bird! And when you finally got to walk through the kitchen, stealing pieces off the cooked delight while waiting for the rest of the meal to finish, it was then you knew it was all worth waiting for. Oh sure, you got your hands slapped a few times, but really, how hard can your mom slap you when she has those oven mitts on and pans in both hands. Give it up mom!
When we sat down to eat, we were truly a family united. We have a great family, even today, as old as we are or claim to be:) We enjoy each other, and we care for each other. So rare now in many relationships, where self interferes. Never saw it in our parents or family. Self was never at our table or in our conversation. And it was a great thing to take away from the table, in that we are thankful not for self but for others!
I am thankful for my husband, son, parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, cousins, aunts, uncles and friends. I am thankful the God who rescued me from a life in the mud and gave me life everlasting. I am thankful for the opportunity to live in a place where I can write what I feel and I am thankful for the promise of eternal life without pain, disability or sorrow. Isn't there a lot to be thankful for?
I am thankful for you, reading this now, even though I can't see you God can, so He knows who I am talking to. How cool is that! Happy Thanksgiving to YOU!

Jude 24-25

Comments

Popular Posts