Thankfulness



I think that it is a very difficult thing for some people to define. They say "of course I love most of the family", "of course I am happy I have a job", "of course I think it is great the football team is playing well". But really, is that all there is?
If you were going to die, and you had to think about what mattered most in life and after, would you list the same rhetoric from those everyday conversations, or would you dig deep and find the true answers to your life?
I like to think of life as ending immediately and handle it accordingly. Many family and friends think I am morbid, but the truth is I am ready to die. I am not afraid as I not only know what matters most after I die, but I believe I have lived to the "last day" in the best way I know how. That does not mean without mistake but with the goal of constantly being perfected in the walk.
For example, relationships. I am me, you get what you see, take it or leave it or be annoyed by it. This is the real deal. I know that I am to love others as I am loved by God. That takes the understanding that not everyone appreciates that love, but they need it just the same. They may be angered by that love, push it away, embrace it or beg for it. But by having true love it means that I must be willing to be rejected, even hated. It is not my cross but the One who sends me. He even warned us that division in friends and family would occur as a result of some of the exchanges. Summary, not everyone is going to like or want to hear the truth or warm up to the one who brings the message. Fortunately most do accept you, just as you are.
Work is another area that takes serious reflection. Are you in the job that is right for you or the one that fits your image of you....money, status, power. I am in this space in time right now. I am going to have to choose between two positions: a job that will have lots of possibility and power and leadership opportunity, but with that comes responsibility to judge rightly, increased accountability and ultimately much more time OR a position that is still full of accountability and responsibility but less stress, pay and time away from home. Since I do not seek to have lots of things in this life I have to determine which role is RIGHT for me and where I am to spend my days in this place in my life. Either will be a great job, either will bring an opportunity to grow, only one will be the best for me. God knows and I can count on direction to choose the right one.
And as for sports, really, does it have any impact on our daily or eternal lives? I don't think so. it is great when our teams win, but if they didn't would we be any less grateful? Shouldn't be, as the teams loss does not put us any further from our spiritual goals or personal relationships. We should be able to enjoy sports or recreation or hobbies but not be controlled by them or have the balance of our lives tied to them. They should be fun not the fuel for our existence.
So I am thankful that I have a God who has a plan and has found me, taken me in and is walking me to the promised land. I am thankful for those who walk along, walk beside and pull me through the short trip through this life. I am thankful that I am not the one who makes the greatest impact on others but am merely a vessel. I am thankful for you!

Comments

Popular Posts