Just Like That

Flash Fiction - Just Like That

George ran through the house at lightning speed chasing his kick ball. It literally was bouncing off the wall. He giggled or cursed depending on where it landed. I yelled several times, reminding him dinner is at risk. Threatened with no dessert, no television, no allowance. All for not. He ran by me tugging my apron strings then kicked it out the back door. He followed with just his socks and shorts on, a full blizzard happening outside. I yell for him to stay in, come back in, put on clothes or at least shoes. His laughter never stops. He is having the time of his life. I shake my head, a subtle smirk starting until I see the dent in the pie. How did I miss that? Oh bother, it is just a ball running away from a boy. I laughed out loud at that thought.

He was as ambitious in school as he was in kick ball. He could run the length of the court faster than any in his class. He would chatter constantly which often caused me to wonder how he was doing with his studies, or better how do his teachers keep him focused on his studies. He had fantastic grades and I was never called to remove him so I figured school boy was more contained than home boy. LOL

He graduated top of his class, his legs nervously shaking as he sat in his seat waiting for his name to be  called. Finally, he was summoned to the podium to receive his diploma, wearing a smile that was ear to ear. And just like that he was gone. His adult life had begun. I was in shock and full of pride all at the same time. He had dreams of being a doctor, lawyer, scientist, athlete, policeman, Wiggle. You name it at one point or another, he had a dream. His future was before him, he was out of my control. As I looked out at the snow, I envisioned him running, jumping, giggling, enjoying his life every second. I missed that.

I stopped and just stared, then tossed my spoon and apron on the counter. I ran outside to play in the fresh snow. Before I knew it I had formed a snowman the size of my beautiful boy when he still let me hug him. He was just able to fit under my chin. I could just wrap my arms around him.

 JLG(c)1.3.3020

Comments

Popular Posts