Optimist Training 101

Optimist Training 101

I have those in my life who always see the glass more empty, who have mastered the 'yeah but what if.....'. It is so much easier for them to plan for the failure, disaster or disappointment then it is to be hopeful for the success, the solution or the joy.

Why is that?

I will be transparent, I get depressed. It's true. And it can be overwhelming, dark and highly negative. I can give up hope when I listen to the negative words and corrupt whispers. But it is in that rapid slide spiraling downward that I must make an intentional choice. I can listen to the voice telling me that I am not worthy, unloved, will never have anything or I can stand up, speak against it and choose joy. It is a choice, and it is born in the battlefield.

Words are powerful, they can bring death or life. If you agree with that negative voice, if you speak life into it, if you agree with it then do not be surprised that you do not have the life you 'think' you desire. It, the enemy, has already won. If you agree you won't ever have things, get things, have success, feel better, get help, etc, etc. then it is likely you will not! You are choosing that, you are choosing to be defeated. YOU!

The enemy is so sneaky, and before you know it you have fallen into the trap. But do not be in despair. There is hope, there is a way, you can change the course! Choose a different path. It will seem fruitless, silly or even a failure. I've been there, I know. But if you speak 'life' long and loud enough, you will see it! You will rise above the shade and into the light. You will start to think more positively, you will feel more hopeful, your glass will seem more full!

Yes, this is the God part of the message. We are powerless without Him. He is a gentleman though and He will never force you to change or make you do anything. He never has! But He will gladly and eagerly walk with you, cheer you on. He wants only the best for you. The spiritual warfare is centuries old. Get into the battle, and move. He will  show you the way out.

Then refuse! Refuse to speak negatively. Refuse to hear the gossip. Refuse to believe the chatter. Turn away from those who seek to destroy you and toward the one who holds the prize. Trust me, I fight this battle often. If I didn't change course or change the conversation I would surely die in the muddle. But because I fight, I rise above it all! I can face a new day. Don't give in, don't give up.

Think of Joshua and the wall of Jericho. Small army, big wall. God says circle the city, silently for 6 days and on the 7th silently then blow a horn. 'Yeah, right'  is my first thought. I'm never going to get in that city, win a battle with our tiny force, be able to walk one time around the city in silence! BUT they remained intentional, they followed His directions.  They chose to believe even if it made no sense at all, and there it was, walls crashing down. Mic drop!

So, remain positive even if it seems completely impossible. Refuse to say or think a single negative thought. Reject the noise of the enemy (which may be disguised as a spouse, friend, boss, etc). Expect to receive. You are no different than the little army with Joshua, and your need is likely not larger than a city with a huge wall! It's time to take on the enemy! God provided them a way. Don't believe for a minute you are of any less value. Looking forward to the changing winds!!

jlg 6/17/18 (c)

Comments

Popular Posts