Harry

Harry - A Flash Fiction Story

Three trips from the car to the storage room. It’s bad enough each load weighed so much, but it was as if everyone who offices in the building was on some secret vacation day. Holiday parties aside, I couldn’t be the only one working.

I fumbled to find the key on my overburden key ring. Finally the door opens. ‘Hi Harry! I thought I was going to spend the day all alone.’ I could tell Harry anything. We had been in the same building for years. I usually would chatter away as if he was interested In everything I think. People would walk by and look at me as if I’m crazy for talking so much. Harry never batted an eye. I thought here we are, stuck at work while the rest of my team was experiencing gift exchanges and merriment.

I finally got the last tub on the shelves. I sang all the Christmas songs I could remember so it made time feel shorter. The room looked better than I found it. I broke a sweat in the process. I turned to see my son standing in the doorway, looking around as if for some alien or invisible being. ‘What?’ He stared back at me, looked around again. ‘Who are you talking to mom?’ I chuckled and introduced him. ‘James this is Harry. Harry this is my son!’

He continued to look oddly at me, then Harry. A long pause while I chatted on some more. Now starring intently at Harry he said ‘Mom, you know he can’t hear you!’ I paused and turned to look at him. ‘He’s not real!’ He continued. ‘Don’t be rude!’ I apologized and shook Harry’s hand being sure to place it on the wheelchair armrest. ‘Have a great weekend!’ I turned off the lights and closed the door.
12/21/19(c)

Comments

Popular Posts