A Christmas Tale



Christmas is coming!!! I can hardly wait. When I look at certain pictures it brings about memories of days gone by when little surprises brought great joy! Now you would think that this cute little girl is smiling because her dad came home for a surprise visit at Christmas. He was stationed in Hanoi and all we had were rare audio tapes, the reel to reel kind, and an occasional letter. You would think that would do it. Excited, sure, Ecstatic you bet. But joy? Not so much. That came when a long lost toy was found.
It was, after all, my favorite Barbie. She had traveled from South Dakota to California and had endured hair cuts, fingers being chewed off by a toy poodle and bad clothes. How could you not admire her beauty within! I had lost her some time before and we had searched the house more than a few times. Nothing more annoying and able to spring family members to action then a child who will not let the doll die! "Where's the doll?" "I want my doll!" "I don't want another doll, I want that doll!" You know, over and over and over again until I was close to becoming a face on a milk carton I am sure.
Well it was really my father who played an important role in the discovery. He was due to go to the officers club and had to get his dress jacket out of the closet. When he took his coat out, there she was, being strangled in a loop on the pocket. Poor baby. But it was okay I would love her back to ??? I don't know what ever a 5 year thinks a Barbie is! She would be back to that.
Once we all thought about it, we decided she had been on the shelf and had fallen into the coat. I think others were conspiring against poor Barbie and hiding her or trying to replace her. It was not to be. She may gain other Barbie friends but she would always be part of the group. After all we all have a friend or three like this Barbie don't we? A little rough around the edges, having a bad hair day or year and at least the finger nails chewed to a nub. She was the proving ground in my loyalty for years to come.
And every Christmas I am reminded of that doll, hanging by her unbendable limbs, stuck in the darkness of the closet, alone, afraid, plastic. But with a little love she was redeemed. And with a little love we are redeemed in the grander scheme of things. We get the best Christmas gift from the one who chose to endure the darkness for us. He is just waiting for us to find Him.

Comments

Popular Posts