Just Do It



Sometimes I spend way too much time thinking about things to do as opposed to just doing them. Ever done that? The one I hear about most is taking a vacation. So much work to plan and take a vacation right? Or is it the work that will await us when we return that puts the brakes on? I have friends that are weighing that one constantly.

For me it is the "sort and file" material of my daily life. I come home everyday from somewhere with papers, forms, articles, requisitions, cards, letters, notices, etc, etc, etc. I usually arrive just in time to fix dinner or get my son off the bus so I place the papers in the designated place. Over time that place reaches capacity so I identify another "temporary" place. And that one becomes full and so on and so on.

I have individuals who say "well just take care of them right away and file or toss the trees growing in the kitchen". The problem is like the answering machine, many need a reply or action before they can become history. Those tasks usually have to be done during business hours when you are already conducting other business thus the backlog ensues.

This is not like a pack rat who just collects stuff and is incapable of throwing stuff away. The items I stack high are items NO ONE would want if they had a choice on saving these things:) It is just stuff that needs attention. For me I like to put my attention on my husband and son first, all else eventually. Always before the due but often not before the spider moves into the envelope.

Whats interesting to me is that I have no problem planning, or taking a vacation. I have time to wash, pack, plan, prepurchase entertainment and get in the car. So I have decided in order to find any interest in dealing with all this work the world lays on my plate daily I am going to reward myself with a little r and r. Sure I can't afford to fly off for a vacation each week but I can take a trip to Starbucks or the Bookstore or a nice meal out. Would I do these things anyway, sure, BUT I would not do them as often or as a treat to self. Afterall, bribey worked when I was 12 and I am just slightly older now.

Might sound silly to some, but everyone has something that motivates you, right? Wouldn't it be nice to get that nagging voice to be quiet? What will it take for you to deal with that task that you avoid? Think about it and set up the game plan and then you will be able to enjoy that special reward. Really is kind of like baking cookies; got to do all that prep work and baking but then Oh Mama! Cookies!


Proverbs 20:4
The sluggard does not plow in the autumn; he will seek at harvest and have nothing

Comments

Popular Posts